Thursday, May 6, 2010

"OH!"

It was not an ordinary day. I was sure of that.

Firstly, the day started off with me going to Tengku’s house and for the first time ever, not being able to wake Tengku up. Usually, all it takes is for me to give her “5 more minutes” about 3 times. This time, it took me an hour.

Things were even more unusual in Mid Valley, specifically the arcade, where Fie with his fever and heavily medicated state, beat Tengku and I at Daytona and ParaPara

As we could not watch Iron Man II, due to Tengku getting up late, we watched Date Night instead.

“I’m going to go home now, and stare at my vagina with a hand mirror” (Tina Fey)

That one line in itself received my highest approbation as it proves the Malaysian Censorship Board has finally, finally loosening up. I pondered if all the sex scandals by our politicians have finally led them into giving in and saying “Ah, What The Hell!”

With all of this unusualness it would seem to justify that by the time we got to Paddington’s, it would all become normal again. Or so I hoped. But boy was I wrong.

After devouring a Pot Of Gold, Tengku goes on to rant about how she is hungry again and wants to eat Teppanyaki. A whole mini-debacle between her and Fie then ensue whilst I slowly space out.

I took the opportunity to admire the scenic view outside Paddingtons (read – the walkway and also the entrance of the Chicken Rice Shop right across) and also to people watch.

It was then I noticed the most unusual thing of all :
People were disappearing as I watched them passed by.

Now you may think that this is a general occurrence however normally when people walk pass one gate, they are supposed to appear on the other side. This however, never happened. I was firstly mildly delighted. A model that I hated upon sight walked past and disappeared into thin air. I was silently celebrating as the smile on my face said. Was it possible that I managed to finally make people disappear with my mind? I then realized that is was totally rapacious of me to hope for such things, and sobered up slightly only to have it happen again. I continued observing this queer phenomenon in confusion.

I was just about to point out this queer moment to Tengku, but she had progressed from merely ranting about Teppanyaki to talking about the injustice the restaurant caused to Fie’s vegetable intake. I sighed – my bestest friend is really loud. Not to mention she never knows how to shut up. This is also one of the reasons to why I am a word receptacle, which is the latest word I have learned off Urban Dictionary which (as defined) means to be on the receiving end of a conversation. It is also pretty much what the rest of the CWI competitors will be when it comes to my entry – mere word receptacles.

So, all by myself (and in silence, contrary to aforementioned bestest friend), I pondered about the many possibilities to how these people could actually be disappearing:


Maybe it was like Platform 9 and ¾ in Harry Potter?


No, I’m delusional.



I can FINALLY make people I don’t like dead with my mind. Ha, ha ha.


I scratched the final one out as the hot white guy walked passed and disappeared as well. If anything were to ring true, it was that he was just about as yummy as the Pot of Gold we just had and I definitely did NOT want him anywhere out of my line of vision.

Then suddenly it dawned on me:


Was it a realm for hot people?


I questioned this possibility.


But wait, what was that 80 year old doing there?


It wasn’t till that exact moment that I noticed the people on both sides of the walkway were similar, nay – identical. They were practically the same people.

Then I realized – they WERE the same people.


I was actually looking at a mirror that lined the walls of Paddington’s House of Pancakes.





My resounding “OHHH!” of realization actually shocked Tengku so badly she was silent for 5 seconds, but sent Fie into a fit of laughter as he thought it was (and I quote) ‘cute’. I then explained how my detailed observation and severe pondering had finally led to the conclusion of the mirror, with a tinge of pride in my voice.

Expecting Tengku and Fie to praise me for noticing this before they did, I received none. Instead, Tengku proceeded to point out how if I had inched myself forward slightly, I would notice our table (and in the process, us) being reflected back to us in the corner of said mirror I had been so fascinated at just five minutes ago.


After a good hearty laugh, the subject was then tucked away for future ridicule, but I sported a grin on my face for having been able to indulge in my very own guilty pleasure – stupidity :)




“People call it stupidity; I call it being true to yourself.”




862 words.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

ROFL !!

This receives MY approbation. XD

and the fact that I was actually THERE, makes this oh the more funnier.

joantoniobuckwheat said...

teehee, thank you!! <3

Adderly Shaharudin said...

Jo, for someone who "cannot write," you sure did an amazing work. Haha.

What I liked about this was how you managed to make me wonder the whole time where you're heading with this, and when you got there at your final line, I too, went "Oh!" which speaks volumes of your ability to write things that keep readers interested.

Good job XD

joantoniobuckwheat said...

haha, thank you so much!!! :)

yes, the word "ooh" is infectious

:D

Marie Peace Blossmead said...

OHHHHHHHhhhhhh!!!!!!
XD